This DVD takes a special look at two of the most popular and prestigious express passenger locomotives to operate on New South Wales Railways, the C36 class 4-6-0 and theg.
Both types in their heyday were employed on top link passenger duties and were comparable in power rating and performance.
Durin the 1960s as dieselisation took a strong hold, both classes were gradually relegated to more humble freight workings.
Archive footage featuring:
- Southern Highlands Express
- Newcastle Flyer
- 36’s and 38’s on heavy goods workings, including double heading with 60 class Garratts.
- The unique Giesel ejector fitted 3616
- Double-headed 38’s on the inaugural ‘Spirit of Progress’.
- 3642 in South Australia on the opening of the Whyalla line.
- 3801 & 3813 double heading ‘The Western Endeavour’.
Plus rare footage of tank loco 3138 working the entire length of the Belmont branch line during the final years of operation.
Running time:- 1 hour 8 min.
Photos:- Courtesy S.R.A Archives